View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Milk needed during the day/Pumping enough

thanks everyone for all your responses! sorry it's taken me so long to get back. things are better now. i think it will just take a few weeks to figure out a routine. now that i know she will predictably sleep at night when i get home i've added another pumping session right before i leave work, and then i still wake her around 9pm, and try to get her to nurse, and then pump again before bed.(she wasn't on a reliable schedule before, so i didn't know if i was going to show up to a starving baby, or a full, sleeping one). I've also started pumping after her 1st morning feeding. i don't really want to add more/longer pumping sessions during the day because i'm an exempt employee, so i don't have set breaks or lunches. i can basically take as much or as little time as i want, as long as i get my 8 hrs in for the day. so, the longer i take pumping, the later i have to go home. and, at some point it becomes self-defeating you know? plus, i have another kid at home who needs some attention from me before he goes to bed at night. but anyways, with the extra pumping sessions, i've been able to keep up the last few days last week. and i managed to pump some extra over the weekend that should hopefully fill in any gaps this week. she does occasionally leave an extra ounce or so in her bottles at daycare (and they won't reuse it, but do send it home with me to reuse), so i'm feeling a little better about how much she's getting. the particular day i posted this, my sister was watching the kids. and, she's not really used to being around babies, and i think just didn't know how to handle it. so, everytime the baby cried, she fed her. i even talked to her about how i was having trouble keeping up and explained how to try and make sure not to overfeed her. but, i think it just made her more nervous and unsure of what to do, so the baby got way more than any other day. even dh thought it was ridiculous how much she ate that day. but, my sister was doing me a huge favor, so i didn't say anything after the fact. it just sort of added to my already worried state while i was trying to figure out how bottle-feeding was going to go and work out our schedule. she is using the slowest flow nipples, so hopefully that will help.

anyways, things are a little better. i do wish she would maybe reverse-cycle a little bit. or at least, be up more at night to nurse. i know, that would sound crazy coming from anyone but a working mom! any tips on encouraging that? i try to wake her, and we do cosleep fairly often, so that i can nurse her and sleep at the same time. but anymore, i really just can't wake her at night, she's so wiped from keeping herself awake at daycare. i'm hoping that as she gets more used to it, maybe she'll nap more there and this will change?
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote