View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

what to do, oh what to do!

I'm feeling somewhat discouraged at the moment. I cannot decide what to do this next school year with my children (5th, 3rd, and K; 2 yr. old doesn't do anything except create havoc, lol). I am very interested in a couple of different options:

1) Tapestry of Grace is very appealing to me on a couple of levels. I like the fact that everyone can be studying the same material at different levels. I like that it is organized and I don't have to put together my own unit studies (I recognize that there is still planning to be done, which is fine, as it is planning within already-set parameters). I like that I can purchase it one unit at a time, and that it is either print or digital. I like that it is thorough, and is a 4 year plan. I like that we retain our flexibility. However, I wish I knew someone in person who uses TOG, because I'd really like to look at it, and talk to them about how it works day-to-day. I'd also like encouragement along the way.

2) There are two local options for a university model school. I like this option because the planning is done for me. The kids show up, do their class time, bring home their work, and all I have to do is supervise. I don't have to organize their lessons, plus I get two days to focus on my younger children. My DH likes this idea because the kids get to participate in all the specials and extra stuff that the school offers, such as band. The downsides are a) the cost (they are both significant), and b) I'm not in love with the all the curricula used in the programs. I'm also wondering if we will have time to just hang out and enjoy some down days. Will we lose our flexibility? What happens if we can't keep up with the workload, esp. with my rising 3rd grader, who isn't a strong reader?

3) There are 3 local options for once-a-week academic homeschool groups. We've participated in 2 of them. We liked aspects of both, but both left us not entirely happy. Again, we like participating in the groups because of the various activities they provide for the girls to do, and the friends they've made. Dh likes that the girls get to practice being in a classroom, get to interact with other children, and have other adults who hold them accountable. Another benefit is that I get to visit with some wonderful HSing mamas every week, which is like water in the desert sometimes, lol.

Complicating all of this is that we have just moved. My school supplies are all boxed up, I haven't totally worked out the logistics of how I am going organize everything, and I feel slightly overwhelmed at the thought of unpacking it all. I think I really just need someone with a magic wand to wave it over my life and sort it all out for me.

If you made it this far, thanks, you probably deserve a medal!
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote