View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
watchdog_mama
Registered Users
seller

Tips for keeping newborn safe from toddler germs?

I have a new, 2-week-old daughter who is getting over a cold she caught from her big brother! My son is two and a half and attends school two mornings each week, and there are colds and germs passed around there constantly. In the first week after my daughter was born, we tried to give my son opportunities to bond with his new sister while still limiting her exposure to his breath, etc. But she still caught a cold from him. (Or maybe from my husband and I -- we were exposed, too.) It hasn't been fun. The poor little thing has been congested for a week and had a low-grade fever for two days. Our pediatrician is watching it closely and we have every reason to hope that she'll get over it soon, but we definitely want to make sure she doesn't catch another one.

I just hate this situation. My son has so many books showing toddlers helping with baby siblings, holding them, etc. He adores his new sister and wants so much to help, but we're constantly trying to (sensitively!) keep up the barriers. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas for keeping a newborn germ-free while making a toddler feel like an important part of the team?

We're already cleaning hands constantly, breastfeeding as much as possible, and limiting the time my daughter and son are in proximity (though they'll be together a lot more in a couple of weeks, when DH goes back to work and I'll be the only caregiver during the day). My son has only "held" his sister once -- we try to just let him hold her feet and sometimes pat her tummy and the top of her head. We've considered taking him out of school for a little while, but he LOVES it there and I work from home, so it would be a set-back for all of us if he were out of school.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
watchdog_mama is offline   Reply With Quote