View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The proper care and feeding of your husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
Let's see. It was written by a woman who once had an affair with a married man and who publicly, on air, used the "n" word during a conversation related to interrace relationships, then told the caller that she didn't need to marry "out of race" if she couldn't handle that word. She has referred to homosexuals as "biological errors". Oh yes. And she's been divorced. But she's an authority on happy relationships?

From what little I've read of this book, it seems to me to be an easy way to make yourself feel 1) guilty for having your own needs, 2)guilty if you ever don't feel like dtd, and 3) like you need to stay looking like a 20-year old bride for life unless you want some ho to come along and yank your hubby right out from under you (maybe like SHE did when she had the affair??)

No thanks. I never have liked this woman, EVER. I think her radio shows are crap.

Btw--Schlesinger is not a Christian. She was once an orthodox Jew but apparently renounced that at some point (or at least is no longer practicing orthodox)
Actually, I am pretty sure she says the exact opposite of that (bolded.) I believe she even comments that men love our bodies despite the things we feel self-conscious about, I believe her example was c-section scars.

I am aware of all the other issues you brought up but honestly, I don't really care because I find her advice to be sound (and I have heard her helping gay couples with their relationships.) Maybe she learned something from all the mistakes she has made. BTW, Just because she is divorced does not mean she caused the divorce.

Regardless of all the controversy, I do notice a change in our marriage for the better when I have reread the book and make the extra effort to apply her advice to our relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus869 View Post
I loved it. It didn't make me feel guilty or marginalized at all, in fact it made me feel empowered. The author is a controversial figure, so some people might dismiss it out of hand. But a friend gave it to me and I loved it. See if your library has it, then you're not out anything if you dislike it.