View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about homebirth (long, sorry!)....

MY first was born in the hospital under the care of a midwife. Unfortunately, she was under the advisement of an OB, one that I had never met but who was making decisions for my care over the phone. It was a struggle from front to back trying to have the birth that I wanted. Ultimately, there were no interventions in the birth of my son but it was not the experience that I was hoping for. I also had the nice "massage" and tug to get the placenta out right around the 10/15 minute mark. I think that they only waited that long because I insisted that the cord stop pulsing before they cut it.

Both of my girls were then born at home. Free of people telling me how I should feel, when I could walk, when to push...both of those were amazing. My first HB I delivered the placenta at exactly 1 hour after i had my little girl -- I KNOW they would not have let me go that long at the hospital. My second I delivered it right around the 45 minute mark and again know that I would not have been "allowed" to wait that long for it to come naturally. I came away from both of those births feeling incredibly empowered.

I encourage you to read, read, read. Good stories. Bad stories. Educate yourself and know what you want. Homebirth is amazing.

ETA: All of my babies' birth stories are linked in my signature if you care to read them.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote