View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #593
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

I cannot remember if I posted this already or not...so if I did...sorry...if I did not...GREAT! I am posting it in the $5 or less thread b/c I used leftovers and veggies from my garden. It makes a lot of soup so you'll have more than one meal (2 adults 2 teen girls 1 toddler here). If I bought everything I am sure it would be over $5. I love this soup, I make it whenever I can...even summertime!

THIS MAKES ABOUT 20 SERVINGS (you can adjust the yeild here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/delicio...up/detail.aspx)

Ham & Potato Soup (I add tons of veggies too)

8-3/4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
3/4 cup diced carrots (I used baby carrots and pulse them in a food processor till bite sized)
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup finely chopped onion (I just grate a small/medium onion and don't worry about measuring...easier than finely chopping)
2 cups diced cooked ham (I use leftovers so use what you have...I had 5 cups, so I used that amount)
8 cups chicken stock/broth (enough to cover all ingredients, depending on the size of your pot you may need to adjust this)
1-1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
2-1/2 teaspoons ground white or black pepper, or to taste
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups milk
2 Tbsp Thyme, if you use fresh, do a rough chop or use the back of the knife to 'beat-up' the leaves and release the oils/flavor (you can use dried, just rub it in your palm or between fingers to crush and release more flavor)
3-4 cups (TOTAL COMBINED) of any veggies you like...here's what I do:

Frozen corn (I use roasted corn from Trader Joe's)
Frozen Edamame
Green Beans (fresh out of my garden! cut to bite sized)
Zuchinni/Squash (fresh out of my garden! cut to bite sized)
Spinach (I add this at the very end to keep more color/nutrients) SEVERAL HANDFULS!!!

I think that's it...LOL

Saute celery, onion, and carrot then, combine the potatoes, ham and stock in a stockpot.
Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in the salt and pepper.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add thyme right before adding flour then whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.