View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Re: Tired of Night Nursing...

First off, I will say that my 3.5yo JUST started sleeping through the night consistently about a month ago; he nightweaned 2 years before. So even if you wean her, you might just find that you're up ANYWAY and have one less tool to calm her down with...I learned the hard way.

My almost 22 month old is still nightnursing/cosleeping; it's getting uncomfortable with being pg though so I'm working on cutting back.

This is what has helped lessen nightnursing at various times with both boys:

Break the need-nipple-in-mouth-to-sleep association. I started by breaking suction with my finger AFTER they were asleep; you can keep a finger in the mouth for a second and slowly release pressure. Once they stayed asleep with that; I started doing it earlier on, so they were sleepy but not asleep, kwim? This helped a lot, and only took a week or two of consistency.

Juggle sleeping arrangements - maybe have your crib sidecar, so she's close for when she needs to nurse but has her own space? Once she's asleep, move her over...she might wake less to nurse. I'd do this AFTER you've done the above suggestion, though. Or put something between the two of you at night, eg a small firm pillow, so she's not as close to the yummy smelling milk.

I'm not sure what you wear at night, but having a shirt on helps a lot...if I'm topless, they'd be nursing ALL NIGHT...hiding things helps a lot.

Oh, finally, the biggest thing for me was working on my own attitude...when I resent the nursing, it seems worse...if I just try to expect it and not worry about it, it's less of a big deal and I rest better. Surrendering the "right" to a full night's sleep was HUGE for me years ago, and continues to help.

I'll keep thinking for ya...check out "The Baby Sleep Book" by Dr. William Sears (the NEW version, not the old one) for TONS of suggestions; also "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

((hugs))