View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Kap7270
Registered Users

Re: What's the best long-term option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm0615 View Post
So here is how a doctor explained this to me because I was worried about ectopic with Mirena. So Mirena is 99.8% effective (if I remember correctly) so because your chance of pregnancy is so low, you have a lower chance of having an ectopic pregnancy versus taking no birth control. Of those on Mirena .1% will have an ectopic pregnancy (1 in 1000 women taking Mirena per year). Compared to .3-5% (3-5 per 1000 women per year) who are on no birth control. Another words, because Mirena prevents so many pregnancies, it helps to lower the risk BUT if you happen to get pregnant with Mirena, it does increase your chances slightly. Clear as mud, right? We'll probably do the vasectomy. I can't do long term bc. Yuck! Good luck ladies!
Okay, I was curious so looked up the doctor info on the Mirena website. Your stats seem to be accurate: 99.8% effective per year for preventing pregnancy, and the ectopic rate is .1% of Mirena users. Not sure what the rate is among women not on birth control. But I think I disagree with your conclusions a little. Half of the women who get pregnant while using Mirena will have an ectopic pregnancy (.2% get pregnant and .1% have an ectopic pregnancy). So while your overall risk for an ectopic pregnancy might be lower while using Mirena, if you do get pregnant while using Mirena then the odds that it is ectopic are drastically increased.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote