View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
AzulMariposa
Registered
seller

taking custody of children in family

This may get long. My BIL is planning on divorcing his wife. She just gave up their house and moved back in with her mom, and took the kids with her. BIL cant stand it there so he is an his parents. Her moms house is not a good place for the kids. The 5 yr old has severe asthma, and there are 4-5 chainsmoking adults ib the house at all times. The 2 yr old is allergic to dust mites and they have made no effort to clean the place up to help her heal. She is covered in sores. Everytime I have been there there have been multiple piles of animal feces in the floor, bugs all over the kitchen, etc. The children are always filthy, and they only use one diaper per day on the two yr old. This is a doublewide trailer with at least 9 people living in it, and if we get more than an inch of rain the driveway floods and they are stranded.

I had not done anything about this in the past because they were trying to get the kids out of there. Not saying I would have taken as long as they did, but I really hoped they could keep the family together. We all helped them as much as we could wgen they got their house, painting, refinishing the floors, etc. We pooled together and got them a washer, dryer, fridge & stove. They lived there a little over a month. Apparently it is too hard for her to take care of her kids, so she moved back in so everyone else could do it.

I would love for my BIL to get custody, but he has not had a steady job in years. Because he was living at her moms with her and the kids, he missed work due to flooding, and also had to call in anytime the kids had to go to the dr because no one else would take them. Now he lives at his parents, and her aunt had called CPS on bogus charges against my FIL, so the kids will not be able to live there anyways.

I was just wondering what if any experiences you all have with this type of situation. We are considering becoming foster parents anyways, but thought that it might help to do it now so they can have somewhere familiar to go when it gets crazy. It is guarenteed to get crazy with her family involved, they tricked her into giving up custody of her son shortly after he was born. We would not keep the children away from the parents, just provide a safe place.