View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Parenting labels. Anyone ever break free?

So the last 6 months or so I've been doing a lot of personal soul examination and searching and have just had an amazing array of 'enlightenment' about various things in life.

One was parenting labels. By admission, I used to be extreme AP/natural. Trying my hardest to do everything by the "AP" book, buying all organic, all natural toys, etc, etc. Well I finally realized that you know what, I can't fit the label. For many reasons. One, because 2 siblings can be so different in personality that the same things do not work. And for me personally I found that if I 'strayed' in one natural/AP area, my so called AP counterparts, distanced themselves. If I couldn't keep up with the latest natural toys, or organic food, etc, etc, then I wasn't "fitting" in.
And you know what, I'm okay with that! I just realized, yes, I'm me, and I do what's best for me.

It has been the most freeing experience [not only in parenting but many areas! Including spiritual path, approach to life, to politics, to loving people].

Anyway, I know there are some mamas on here who have never lived under a label! Awesome Is there anyone who had a similar experience?

Plus I realized that no matter what a person does, it seems that moms are so hard on each other and it's sad honestly. I'd rather be supportive. Plus I've learned that beating someone over the head, being judgmental, etc is no way to get a message across. To be honest, from the "outside" I now see that I was even so extreme I turned many people off. I just looked crazy and unloving by being so judgmental.