View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
mamabear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: !Need Advice ASAP! DD crawling out of crib. What do I do?

Oh, mama... I wish I could help you get some sleep!

I have four, and my first three went through the same thing. We co-sleep here until 6-7mos then move the babe into their own bed (crib). They each started climbing out of their crib and coming in to sleep with me - they still do! Well, not my 11yo . Anyway, when they started climbing out, we put a twin mattress on the floor of their room, got special sheets (snowflakes, favorite color, flannel, etc.), and made it a very nice space for them. Bedtime was just as much fun, and when they woke in the night to come in to me, they didn't have that drop and thump when they hit the floor.

When she climbs out of bed, where does she go? Moving to a strange home is tough for some kids - different smells, sounds, mapping... I wouldn't spank her for climbing out of her bed. I know you're frustrated but I think the greatest thing you can do for her is to try to understand that it's a phase that smart kids go through (Life is too much fun to stay asleep), and be patient with her until she gets in to a groove. Hang in there, mama - I've been there three times, and my Seamus just turned one, so I'll be there with you again soon!

If she's waking to play in her room, maybe you can take all but a few toys and books out of her room, leave a nightlight in there and gate the open door before you turn in. This way, if she does wake, she'll be on floor level (with her mattress), have a couple of toys and some light to play for a minute, which would buy you some time before you tend to her. Until she starts climbing over the gate...she'll figure that out, too, if she hasn't already! She may even doze off again on her own.

Be patient, mama. It's one night that she's climbed out. What is the nighttime routine like at your house? Do you do the same thing every night?
mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote