View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Re: AP Mamas - I have a sleep dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
This is how I successfully nightweaned. Even though you aren't co-sleeping/bedsharing, you can take the basic concepts and apply them to your child as she is old enough for them. Understanding why your baby is crying, (anger at not getting what they want/expect as opposed to fear), and that they are capable of understanding made a huge difference in my ability to deal with the night weaning and the inevitable crying that goes along with it. I also think that babies that age are fully capable of understanding "not now" and "later." We just have to teach them, even if they get ticked off at us.
I am getting ready to do Dr. Gordon's method. I am in the same boat as you. My daughter is almost 16 months and is still up 4-6 times a night. I can't do it any more. My hubby would do CIO, too, but I'd rather do something a little more gentle. He's willing to help, but he isn't willing to rock a screaming baby, so I'll probably just do it on my own, I think. I just want to sleep for longer than two hours! She isn't in our room (she's in with her brother) and it's a LONG walk 25 feet down the hall so many times each night. Hoping it works!