Thread: Anyone a sub?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone a sub?

I have been a sub on and off for the last 4 years. I am on a contract again for this upcoming school year.

What I loved about subbing, the job is always changing. I could go from working with the highschool students to the kindergarten to reading exams in 1 day. There are 9 different schools I'd work in. If I had something going on that day or I had a kid home sick I could always say no.

What I didn't like, some days were hard to fill in with the highly special needs kids but when you got called for that kid again you knew what to expect. The hours are unexpected and you get EARLY calls for subbing so you'd need to have a sitter on call if you have kids at home still.

Last school year I was on contract for the first 2 months, then I subbed for 7 months and was on contract for the last month. 6 of the months I subbed I also did Noon Supervision in a particular school twice a day. That cut down on the days I subbed. I would only sub at that school on those days, though there were times where the other schools dealt with me leaving early to go do supervision there because they were short subs. I quit doing noon supervision in the 2nd last month of the year because the contract I was going under was supposed to start then but it ended up being a month later.

Most months I worked at minimum half time subbing, even when doing the noon supervision. When I stopped doing noon supervision I subbed 90%, I had 4 days off.

There are some tricks to getting more subbing hours. You need to get in with the Aides in the schools. Don't be shy(even if you normally are, you can't be). Talk them up in the staff room, talk to everyone in the staff room as if you had a contract there. Get to know the staff and share personal stories with them. Here the aides call in their own subs and can request who they want. Second to them is the teachers. Do whatever the teacher asks of you and go above/beyond. I stayed late for 20minutes helping a teacher clean up the classroom at the end of the day(it was a glittery christmas nightmare,lol) so she could leave faster(she was holding the staff xmas supper at her house that night). She appreciated that so much and made sure she had my name for the next time her aide needed a sub. She said most subs would leave as soon as that bell rang. I have stayed late helping the other aides too. We had every wednesday off as an early dismissal. At my kids school they have country busses who come later. The aides are in charge of the bus kids and I stayed to help where the person I was covering for was supposed to be. The other aides(there are 4 in this school) were trying to tell me to leave and I wouldn't.lol They said there is 1 aide who often subs at the school(and has kids there too) who would always leave. I stayed. for my 6hours.

Now there will probably be at least 1 snobby school.lol I worked at one(on contract) for 6months, I then subbed in this school the next school year and some of the staff members(who I worked with the previous year) didn't realize I had been there before. In that school aides are lower than low, the students treat the aides as the scum of the earth because that's how the teachers perceive us.

I love subbing. If I could do it with guaranteed hours I would over being contracted in 1 school. Subbing often does lead to temporary and permanent contracts. The more experience(subbing and education) the more likely. I am not sure of the pay in your district but here it is $17.98/hour.