Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ex is suing to drop child support

We all live in NY.

I received papers in the mail on Saturday letting me know my ex filed papers to have support dropped as he's not working and hasn't worked for 2 years. He was paying support with his unemployment, but he exhausted that option. In the 2 years since he's been unemployed he's only put in 1 application (according to what he's told me).

Please tell me the judge is not going to order him to lay some ridiculous amount like $12 a week or something. He was paying $115 a week. I paid for everything for our DD. I sent clothes, toys, books, food, etc to his house for her 1 overnight visit a week. Other than that he rarely sees her, rarely calls her.

He lives in the house we bought with his girlfriend and his 3 kids (from his first marriage). He has to get money from somewhere because there's no way they pay all the bills and buy everything they have on just her income (she makes around what I do). He has 4 vehicles already and they just purchased a $20,000 vehicle (he says it's in her name, she has nothing to do with it, but that's the vehicle he's always driving).

If he claims everything he has, can the judge still drop support because he's unemployed? He chooses not to work. He claims he has back issues, but his doctor won't fix it. I say he's just really overweight and lazy (he's probably packed on close to 100 pounds since we split up 3 1/2 years ago). He's not on disability. When we went to court 3 1/2 years ago to set the support order, he told the judge it wasn't his problem that I was choosing not to work, so they factored in me working full time time at minimum wage as my income...even though my DD was under a year old & I was still nursing her. So I sold things on eBay, etsy, here and so on. I did what I had to do.

I cannot afford a lawyer...do I have any options here? Am I going to end up with nothing in court?