Thread: Vegan?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan?

A couple of months ago my family made the switch, and surprisingly my dh is on board and doesn't complain about the no meat. He eats it when we have family parties at other people's houses. At someone's advice on this forum, I checked out some cookbooks at the library and then ordered a few that I really liked. So far I have Chloe's Kitchen, Happy Herbivore, Vegan on the Cheap, and The Vegan Table. I like to cook from scratch and not rely on fake meats and substitutions, so these books have worked out great. A lot of things you could make and then add meat later for your dh or kids. I cooked up the rest of the meat in the freezer and portioned it out and refreezed it for my dh so he could add when needed. So far, he hasn't used it. I am kinda pushing for him to eat it just to use it up so it doesn't go to waste. You might find your family likes your meals and doesn't require as many animal products. We eat such a variety and it seems like we hardly repeat any meals.

Also, we have a rating system that I write in my cookbooks. Dh rates the recipe between 1 and 10, and anything above 6 can be repeated. It surprises me what he rates high and what he rates lower.