View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Developmental Delays in someone else's child? Need advice.

It's a tough situation to be in. I babysat a little girl for awhile that was really lacking in developmental milestones and all the doctor seemed to care about was how much she was eating. (she was a tiny little girl, still is, about 20lbs at 2 years old) so I was basically told to feed her all day long and who cares if she can't sit up unassisted at 10m old, because it's more important that we feed her. Ugh.

I worried about her.

I quit watching her at about 15 months old, but by then she was walking/sitting.. but wouldn't talk. (FYI, due to the fact my 3 year old was being abusive to her after having Levi, not any developmental reasons. lol)

I can't tell you the amount of times I considered bringing up the fact that this kid needed something more than food, but how do you do it without insulting someone, ESPECIALLY someone that signs your paycheck. lol Most parents are going to take it as some kind of insult, an attack, my kid isn't normal, not good enough, something wrong with them, etc.. I have a 3.5 year old with a Speech delay and a 8 year old with Severe Anxiety and Aspergers, I know, I felt that way myself.. but Hopefully you have planted a seed, A seed that she most likely already had, but hopefully it will grow just enough to make her get him into someone to be checked out.. and maybe everything will come back fine and ease your fears, but it sounds like there's a problem, and I hope the mom sucks it up and is able to find the strength to get her kid the help he needs. It's hard to hear, but it needed to be said. So kudos to you.

I'd probably back off and hope for the best, I mean really, it's all you can do. Pushing the fact might just make her look elsewhere for care, unfortunately.

Last edited by jenn5388; 08-29-2012 at 07:31 PM.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote