View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
1sttimemommy
Registered
seller

My Mood:
4 year olds... enough said?

I personally feel like running away if it'll save me from dealing with my 4 yo. DS is just... I don't even know what! multiple times a day he has me on the brink of strangling him! His attitude stinks, he's forgotten how to listen, he does NOTHING the way he's supposed to. Every so often I catch sight of my sweet little boy, but more often not.

Examples...
Earlier we were cleaning up the mess that was leftover in the livingroom. I told him that if he helped me, we'd go visit his cousins. I don't expect him to pick up w/o direction just because there's so much stuff here so I tell him to pick up 5 kitchen things and put them away, 5 cars, etc... He helped for a bit then decided he didn't want to and told me his belly hurt and he was going to throw up and needed to rest. I said no, if you want to visit you help. He just laid on the floor until he was ready to play and we didn't go visit.

Later, I was making lunch and he brought his tool box out to the kitchen. The rule is toys in the living room only. If I let them out of the living room I'd have toys EVERYWHERE! I said no, take it back to the living room now, no toys here. He looked at me and turned around in the direction of the living room. I went back to making lunch and he walked past me into my bedroom w/ the tools. I took them away and the tools are in time out. Immediate flipping out commenced. tears, stomping feet, SCREAMING, growling... he settled enough for me to say I TOLD you no toys, he screamed that I never told him that he INSISTED I never told him that. then commenced w/ the tantrum. I picked him up, put him on his bed, told him he could come out when he decided to behave and left, closing the door.
He came out a few minutes later still grumbling. I repeated if he couldn't behave he needed to go back to the bedroom. (I also threatened to put him in a crib if he was going to keep acting that way... not the best tactic but I was frustrated myself!)

Lunchtime... one of his sisters took a wedge of his sandwich. I got it back from her but it wasn't perfect and he flipped his lid saying she touched his food.... etc... etc...

The other took a piece of something on his plate and he went nuts again. Immediate tears screaming, face red.

Just now one of the girls went to play w/ her dollhouse but he had commandeered it earlier and was playing w/ it so he ran over and got in between it and her and yelled at her NO MINE! ANYTIME they go after what he's playing w/ or he decides he wants something they have have he decides he can just take it. Every toy is his and only his if he wants it.

It's like he's lost all coping abilities and has no control over his emotions... which I KNOW is part of growing up to a point... but this has been a downward spiral! and I don't know how to help him, or me for that matter because I'm at my wits end w/ a 4 year old who flips over everything!