View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
bells
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've just taken custody of my siblings by way of DCF calling me and asking if I'd be willing to take them after they were removed from their fathers home for neglect. It took 3 mos total from phone call to sole legal and physical custody. I do believe this is because the parents lived in different counties and I live out of state. Add to that the fact that DCF backed out once I agreed to take them. I wound up doing the petition myself & representing myself while the children were in a safety plan. One piece of advice i'd give u if u are taking custody and not kinship is to discuss financial assistance for them before court is over. This was a situation where we were reporting for years the neglect that was happening. They would go out to check and be impressed by the parents. It took my brother being hit on camera for them to be removed. I know every state is different. This was in NY.

Pls excuse typos. My iPhone thinks its smarter than me

bells is offline   Reply With Quote