View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #1279
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
Frankly this is another reason I'm happy to be an atheist. The truth is serious advocates want to circumcise because they think God wants them to do it, not because they think it's an objectively good idea. if I thought God wanted me to cut off my newborn's pinky toes not a doctor in the world would go along. The only difference between that and circumcision is commonality. the fact that something is common isn't enough to make it right.
I'm going to have to politely disagree. I'm Christian and I am incredibly opinionated about why I'm NOT circ'ing my boys. There are some Christians who think they are supposed to circ for religious reasons, but the New Testament states otherwise. M

Jews circumcise because they believe it was commanded of them to do so. But that's a much smaller percentage of the population. I think *most* people in the US circumcise simply because they think that's what they are supposed to do, without any real thought as to why. It's so normal here that a lot of people don't question it. And years ago, when your doctor said circumcision was better, parents couldn't run to the internet to do their own research. They had to rely on what their doctors told them. So when the medical community said to it, people did. I think circ rates are going down because people are doing their own research instead of taking everything their dr says as truth.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote