View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
ambie719's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 564

No one can tell you which is best, it is a very personal decision and one that only you can make because only you know what you're comfortable with.

My DS1 was a c-section, he was stuck (giant head) and after 20 hours of labor, at least 5 of which I was stuck at 9 cm, we called for a c-sec. I did go into labor on my own though. The recovery was easy, no issues, no problems. We got pg again when he was 7 months old, putting 16 months between my deliveries. There are no vbac bans here so I had the option of a vbac, I was just cautioned that since my births were so close together I would be monitored more closely and kept on a bit of a shorter leash. I had to go into labor on my own, they won't induce for a vbac. I decided that I wanted to try, taking care of a toddler and a newborn seemed much easier without throwing major abdominal surgery into the mix. Yes there was part of me that was scared, not only of the small risks, but also of attempting and failing and going through hours labor only to end up with a c-sec again. I also knew we would have one more child, and the more c-sec's you have the higher the risk of complications with each surgery, so that was just another thing to consider. And my pregnancies have been textbook, no issues, no complications, nothing. If I'd had any health issues that definitely would've influenced my decision.

In the end DS2 was my vbac baby, despite being posterior. He was just as big as his brother so size played no role in DS1 getting stuck. I did need an episiotomy, but it was worth it, and he did have some decels, but they always came back to normal so the OB let me continue. Pushing took quite awhile, partly because I'd never done it before and partly because the pushing had only managed to turn him sideways, so his position was troublesome. I can't comment on recovery being better or worse, it was like night and day, it was just different.

I am expecting #3 in the next 2-4 weeks and am planning on another vbac, and hoping to go med free for the first time.
Amber Wife to Chris (Dec/06) Losses Apr/08 (13w) & Oct/11 (7w)
SAHM to my boys Mason (Apr/09) Isaac (Aug/10) and Boyd (Sept/12)
ambie719 is offline   Reply With Quote