View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you had a hospital VBAC, what did they "make" you do at the hospital?

I was a patient of the midwives at the large university medical center, and the only thing required was fetal monitoring, but I could move as desired, get in the tub, etc. I don't recall having a heplock; when I asked for an epidural they started the line for fluids then. It's all a bit fuzzy now - that's what happens when you arrive at the hospital in transition!

I switched providers at 37 weeks and I'm so glad I did. The OB on call when I delivered even lied to me to keep my morale up. There had been a few decels and my midwife was worried (unbeknownst to me). The OB said, OK, if things don't improve, we'll move to the OR where we can do a trial of forceps before a c/s if you'd like, BUT you are pushing beautifully and I'm positive you are going to have this baby without a doctor in the room.

The midwife told me later that, actually, the OB wasn't comfortable using forceps with a VBAC patient and it would have been straight to a c/s, but I'm so glad the OB understood the mental aspect of L&D and didn't discourage me by scaring me with the threat of a c/s. And indeed, my baby was born without a doctor in the room. I'm positive I would have had a repeat c/s with my old OB.