View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,613

I struggled with that decision with my DD.

DS was a c/s because of an undiagnosed previa that caused a large bleeding episode. I went to the hospital and right into the OR. Because I had never been in labor and had no issues, my MW said that I was a great candidate for VBAC. I saw MWs and planned on a VBAC until I was about 7 or 8 months pregnant. Then a few things happened that changed my mind.

I thought long and hard about the what ifs. I knew that if anything went wrong, I would hate myself. Then my MIL was diagnosed with cancer. She was a HUGE part of our care plan for DS. When that got muddled, I just decided to schedule the C/S so we could better plan for care for our son (who was 2.5 and non verbal at the time).

In hindsight, having the c/s was a good thing to do. MIL was in the hospital and they wanted to induce a coma and intubate her the day before DD was born. MIL refused b/c she knew the baby was being born the following day (we didn't know gender). Right after DD was born, DH took a picture over to his mom and then she let the doctors put her in a coma. She never woke up and died 7 days later. I was glad to know that she knew she had a little granddaughter who shared her name. I have the copy of the picture (printed on a plain piece of paper) with MIL's handwriting on it saying that DD looks like her brother (MIL couldn't speak at the time and wrote out what she wanted to say.)

Almost 5 years later, I am still saddened by the fact that I've never had a vaginal birth. I don't regret my choice, but I recognize I had a unique set of circumstances.
After struggling with PCOS, IF, and multiple miscarriages, my family is complete.
DS 2005 and DD 2007
jac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote