View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you protect your kids from molestation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo View Post
Threads like this always make me sick to my stomach when I think about my son and that someday when he's grown people will automatically look at him and think "potential child molestor" and not want their children to ever be alone with him. What a sick society we live in when men are automatically villainized just because they are male.

OP, this isn't a bash on you or anything. I just think it's sad that society in general has come to the point where people feel automatic distrust toward men.
I'm the mom of 4, soon to be 5 boys and only 1 girl. It's extremely sad to me. But, that doesn't change the statistics.

And, I worry about my boys being victimized just as much as I do my girl...almost more because I know the stats of boys who are victims becoming perpetrators themselves.

It is very sad, but it is reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I understand completely where you are coming from. I have been there unfortunately and am the same way. I don't think your fears are irrational. The rate of abuse is mind boggling. I teach my daughter and have some very good books to help. The best one right now is: Those Are MY Private Parts, got it on amazon. I also know that once the horse is out of the barn, there's no going back. You are so correct to mention other children. An important thing to remember is the balance of power. A 7 year old would have a very hard time not being manipulated by an 11 year old for example. Those 2 are not ages to be playmates without being closely supervised. Also you are correct in that men and boys are much more likely to offend. The pp who said otherwise is wrong. In fact boys are much more likely to experiment sexually with each other than girls.
Thanks! And, thanks for reminding me that my fears are not irrational. They are real and not without cause. Though, I will admit, some of mine are a bit irrational because of who they are connected to. (Or, I should say, I HOPE they are!!) Absolutely right about other children. Unfortunately, it is super common for children who are abused to imitate the behavior and for boys to experiment. Sad, but true.