EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help understanding modern schooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslin View Post
Do your schools have "early release days" all schools around here have 1-3 early release days A MONTH! So your kid gets out of school at noon and some schools have early release once a week. It is so weird here. They also get 2 "spring breaks" one is called February vacation and the other is a normal spring break, they are both a full week.
February break is pretty standard in the East/New England area. It is to try to cut down on the amount of snow days by having more break time in winter. A for early release days, that seems like a lot for a larger district to have. I know smaller schools and districts have more early release days to give teachers a time for prep. My DH taught at a smal three class room k-8 school and they had early release every Wednesday so that the teachers could get prep time. In a larger district teachers usually have a prep period where they don't have students, but that can't happen in smaller schools so much.
I am from Southern Ca and thought this stuff wa weird when I moved to Maine, but most of it makes logical sense. As for the classroom set up you saw at your local school....I'd personally run from it, but I also know that play is being phased out more and more in public education unfortuanately we expect way to much from such little people I think.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote