View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #39
dani_p
Registered Users

Re: how do you protect your kids from molestation?

This is always such a touchy subject isn't it?

I too am surprised that the OP is nervous about a man she's never even met and a school professional at that. The notion that men should NEVER EVER be alone with children is a bit silly. Yes, I realize that they are 100 times more likely to be a sexual predator than a woman is... but 100 times 0.0001 is still less than 1%. That means that more than 99% of men are well meaning, normal guys who are vilified because of their sex. If I ran around suggesting that black people probably were criminals and middle easterners were all suicide bombers, I would be a terrible person. I don't understand why this is any different... yet it is widely accepted as normal behavior to discriminate against men in regards to children. Virgin Airlines (in Australia) has a policy that unaccompanied minors are not allowed to sit next to male passengers. Men walking down the street have the police called and their daughters interrogated because they might have kidnapped them (both stories from freerangekids.com). This is discrimination and it is not okay.

That said, I have a daughter. I worry about her. I understand the fears, I really do. However, it is not my job to protect her from the world. It is my job to teach her to protect herself. Teaching her what is or is not appropriate and what to do about it is the best defense I can offer her. Raising a daughter who is leery of all men simply because they are men is not something I am okay with.

Sorry if I come across as harsh... I don't mean to insult anyone but this is something I feel passionately about (if you couldn't already tell!)

Last edited by dani_p; 09-15-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote