View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What comprises "unnecessary" prenatal care?

Well, the BD (birth defects) tests aren't "necessary" but most OB's highly recommend them (so you're prepared when baby's born or ... if you so choose).

We buy our own insurance and you're going to hit your deductible when you give birth; since you're using an OB and not midwife I'm assuming you'll be delivering in the hospital. You'll hit your deductible.
I don't know what your deductible is but ours was $1200/person, $3000/family and then 90/10 after deduct. All said and done; we paid out of pocket $2400 for the prenatal care and birth in the hospital- and that was WITH an epidural AND switching from an OB to a midwife at 20 weeks (the midwife was cheaper BUT since we were switching midway, it was the same as if we stayed with the OB-I just HATED my OB and had to switch).
They treat the birth as individual expense. Ointments for the eyes, heel stick, circumcision, and anything post birth to just the infant is the baby's deductible/family. That's where ALOT of the difference in your cost will be. If the infant has problems post birth and is in NICU or something like that. We didn't have any problems but we circumsized (which they charged $400).
Hope that helps a little bit.