View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Re: Coconut milk recipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMamma View Post
I make a great mushroom sauce with coconut milk here. It's a replacement for alfredo since we have allergies here.

1/4 c EVOO
1 onion
Minced garlic (I use a lot, but do what you guys like to taste)
1 t rosemary (dry)
1 t thyme (dry)
2 tsp cilantro (fresh)
2 c mushrooms (fresh)
1/4 flour (your choice - I use a GF flour here, or a little xanthum gum)
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
pepper to taste

I just heat the oil on low until it's warmed up & then toss everything else in there. I do it in a pot. Basically just cook on M or L & whisk until it starts to get to the thickness you like.
Mmmmm! This sounds so good! Does the cilantro make it spicy?

I use it in chicken adobo and it makes it extra delish! Here is what I do for a recipe.

like 3 or 4 boneless chicken breasts
2c vinegar
2c soy sauce
2 bay leaves
2tsp minces garlic

brown the minced garlic in some evoo (in the bottom of a pot not a shallow pan) and then add all the ingredients and let simmer for at least an hour (covered). Give it a stir every now and then. When chicken is cooked through, moist, and falling apart go ahead and add like a cup of coconut milk, remove from heat and mix together until creamy....Mmmmm now I want to make some for dinner tonight. I serve it over rice and it makes a really great sauce. You can even add onions if you'd like, it adds great depth of flavor but mine is a onion hating house so I omit it. If you are going to add onion I would sautee it before browing the garlic. oh and I know bay leaves is a weird ingredient in chicken adobo but don't skip it, it really adds a great flavor that you can't get without it