View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #337
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2colin View Post
So I've been battling ammonia for awhile now. Maybe 3 months? I have 2 in cloth and use a combo of pockets, AIO's, receiving blanket flats and fst, prefolds and various covers. I've stripped in dawn, used the ammona fish tank stuff, bleach, all types of detergents etc. So here's my wash routine:

I wash every day to every other day (usually every day and a half) in a normal TL'er

Pre-wash-used to use cold but have switched to warm
Wash on HOT with a warm rinse- right now I have all f&c but I've tried charlies, ecos, tide(kids and I are allergic) country save and bumgenius detergent.
I sun all items unless it's yucky outside then I hang covers and toss everything in the dryer for about 45 minutes.

So this last time I added bleach to the pre wash and wash cycles and everything seemed really clean. I put both kids in recieving blanket flats and they both looked good after that diaper change. I then put my DD in a bsrb and a cover, and my son in a flip with a prefold. he was a little pink after that change and my dd was RED so back to sposies. I wanna get this figured out since I love using cloth and would rather not spend $$$ on sposies. So should I try a detergent like A&H or Gain maybe? Strip with Dawn again? We do have hard water by the way and I use either calgon or washing soda with the detergent, but I haven't ever used it when I stripped. Maybe that would help?
A change in detergent may help, something like arm and hammer. But, how much detergent are you useing? I'm just wondering how hard your water is. Are you getting a good little suds with the amnt of detergent you are useing? You will need to add the softner to every load. When hard water builds up in fabric, it gived places for ammonia crystals to form. I hate to say this, but when you get the ammonia and want to make a change to try to help, your going to need to strip. How have you striped? The key is enough dawn, a softner (for hard water), time, aggitation, heat. Have you given the tub method a shot yet? What about an after rinse? Could be the detergent not rinseing well. It's normally one of two things: too much or too little detergent. Could it be too much? Sorry for all the questions. Also, feel free to pm me anytime if you need. Oh, one last thing. Have you tried an enzyme cleaner? The kids n pets in the blue/wht bottle I talk about is awsome. And if your haveing this much trouble, I wouldn't keep trying the natural detergents. You may just need something stronger. They won't work for some momas. I loved all f and c, but clears for unknown reasions, just won't work for everyone.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote