View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice please! Adopted dog is aggressive toward kids

I often pull pit bull type dogs from the shelters and foster, rehab, and vet on my own dime. I can tell you right now that a dogs behavior in the shelter does not shed any light on how it will behave in a home. Many shelters do not do behavioral assessments on these dogs. What you see is not what you get. An example, I pulled a 6 month old dog who was quiet, calm, and submissive in the shelter brought her home and she is severly food aggressive with the other dogs. I have yet to pull a dog that was aggressive towards children but I do not believe one incidence of your DS slapping her has caused this. There are a couple things going on here.

1. She is in a new home with new people, her world has been turned upside down.

2. You most likely do not know her history or what she has been through prior to arriving at the shelter.

3. Some dogs are more snippy then others, it could be a personality thing.

One of two things are going to happen, she is either going to get comfortable and this behavior will resolve itself or it's going to become obvious that this is in her nature. You can try by training her but you will have to correct these negative occurances as soon as they happen. Positive reinforcement is important. I am glad a trainer is going to call you and I hope it works out.
Amanda wife to Brandon and mama to 4 little ones. L 2005, E, 2008 S, 2010, T 2011, and expecting #5 in December after tubal ligation He's here 12/20/13 So very blessed!
Mommieof3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote