View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Marian Grace has arrived!

Due to an anterior placenta previa, I was scheduled for a c-section at 37 weeks, which was last Monday, September 17. Anterior placentas are more complicated than posterior b/c the ob has to cut through the placenta to get to the baby, and the risk for bleeding is greater.

When I checked into the hospital, they hooked me up to some monitors. I was actually contracting every 4 minutes, it just wasn't painful. The anesthesiologist that was supposed to be on my case was held up, so they ended up calling someone from another location and my c-section started a little more than an hour late. I got a spinal block. When the anesthesiologist pricked me to see if I still had feeling, I told him that yes, I could still feel it. Throughout the delivery, I could feel more than I think I was supposed to and was telling them (or yelling it). I kept asking for more drugs and then something for nausea, b/c it was all making me nauseous. They finally got the baby out, brought the baby around for me to see, took a couple of pictures, while the docs were working on pulling the placenta out of my uterus and controlling the bleeding. They finally knocked me out completely after my arm flung around the curtain and I guess I tried to stick my hand in my abdomen. I woke up when it was over and they were transferring me to a different bed.

It was really the worst experience of my life. I kept crying, "Why does anyone have this done electively?" My MIL is an anesthesiologist and she said that it was not supposed to go like that (and that they should have knocked me out way earlier, when I was saying that I could feel too much).

I lost 1700 ml of blood, not enough for a transfusion but enough to make me really tired.

Recovery wasn't much better. They didn't give me a PCA, just IV morphine every two hours, which is not very good pain management for a c-section, at least not for me. I was told that I couldn't have something different b/c of the bleeding risk. I was not prepared for the pain from the fundal massage with almost no pain relief.

Anyways, the baby is doing great. Marian Grace, 7 lb 4 oz, 19 in @ 1300 on Sept 17, 2012. She is as beautiful and sweet as her arrival was brutal and painful.

I checked out of the hospital after 48 hours, I really should have stayed an extra day to rest but I'd had enough of the hospital and I figured I may as well be in pain in my own house.

Ready for baby!

In the OR:

Proud DH:

Happy Mama:
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote