***INACTIVATE***
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
I'm in! DS is in 8th grade, and this is our first year HSing and we started in the middle of August (we decided kind of last minute). We are doing a year round schedule, so I schedule frequent short breaks. We worked M-Sat for 4 weeks, just had last week off, and we start back up again tomorrow. It was nice to have a break.

I changed his science curriculum (CK12 Biology), so he gets to start that, and I also found a free online sign language class for his foreign language. I have always wanted to learn sign language, so I will be learning with him. He is deaf in one ear, so I thought this would be a good language for him to learn. I'm excited to start it!

We use Alpha Omega Lifepacs for history and language arts, CLE 700 for math, and now CK12 for science. He is reading The Book Thief for reading, and now the sign language. We also do various cooking and craft projects for home ec.

Do you have a link for the CK12 Biology you are using? We started out using their Earth Science for Middle School but the reading level is way over his head. He tested post high school for reading comprehension on his SATs last year, so I don't know if it was lack of effort on his part or if the book was really over his head. I am doing BJU Science 6 with both my 8th grader and 6th grader. I plan on giving him extra work to do since it is "below" his level.

I really need my 6th and 8th graders to be on the same level in some subjects, so they are doing history and science together.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote