View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

I would like to join also if it isn't too late. I have too boys, Kearnan is 11, ASD and about halfway through 5th grade. Tharen is 6.5 and just stared 2nd grade. About the time I started 2nd grade with him he began refusing to do everything so we have had to back track and re-plan how to teach subjects so he is even willing to participate. I considered sending him to public school just to get a break and let some one else try teaching him. After 2 weeks doing just math manipulatives, reading to him, letting him read to me some, and doing history and science he is finally starting to come around a bit so I am hoping to add in some more traditional work soon.

Kearnan is just working along pretty much the same as always, he is halfway through Saxon 6/5 and just took a test which had scored 100% on. He is working with Spell by Color and I don't know if it is actually improving his spelling or not. Next year we will be using Hake Grammar which I believe has a spelling component as well. His spelling and writing are still suffering but Writing strands didn't help so we are working with Scott Froseman grammar right now. We are all doing Celtic History this week because we will start the History of Halloween next week.

I have been working with unifix cubes, play money and bug counters/pattern cards with Tharen for the last two weeks for math. He has done two pages of worksheets form his new math program and as of yesterday he is actually a little more compliant about school work. Today when he asked "is it a school day?" and I said yes he didn't scream he just said "ok, that's fine" so I'm hopeful. Yesterday he agreed that he could do his Funnix reading comp one or two days a week starting today so fingers crossed that works out. I'm trying to figure out how to teach him spelling without the work book program we were planning to use this year. I don't think he would like Spell By Color any better as it is still work sheets and Spelling City may be a bit too much like "work" as well. I have Bananagrams that I will try but other than that I am stumped. I am also torn on ordering a giant math manipulatives kit. It costs more than I usually spend on curriculum for a full year but if it allows me to continue teaching him it is probably worth it. Just not loving the idea.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote