Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I would like to join also if it isn't too late. I have too boys, Kearnan is 11, ASD and about halfway through 5th grade. Tharen is 6.5 and just stared 2nd grade. About the time I started 2nd grade with him he began refusing to do everything so we have had to back track and re-plan how to teach subjects so he is even willing to participate. I considered sending him to public school just to get a break and let some one else try teaching him. After 2 weeks doing just math manipulatives, reading to him, letting him read to me some, and doing history and science he is finally starting to come around a bit so I am hoping to add in some more traditional work soon.

Kearnan is just working along pretty much the same as always, he is halfway through Saxon 6/5 and just took a test which had scored 100% on. He is working with Spell by Color and I don't know if it is actually improving his spelling or not. Next year we will be using Hake Grammar which I believe has a spelling component as well. His spelling and writing are still suffering but Writing strands didn't help so we are working with Scott Froseman grammar right now. We are all doing Celtic History this week because we will start the History of Halloween next week.

I have been working with unifix cubes, play money and bug counters/pattern cards with Tharen for the last two weeks for math. He has done two pages of worksheets form his new math program and as of yesterday he is actually a little more compliant about school work. Today when he asked "is it a school day?" and I said yes he didn't scream he just said "ok, that's fine" so I'm hopeful. Yesterday he agreed that he could do his Funnix reading comp one or two days a week starting today so fingers crossed that works out. I'm trying to figure out how to teach him spelling without the work book program we were planning to use this year. I don't think he would like Spell By Color any better as it is still work sheets and Spelling City may be a bit too much like "work" as well. I have Bananagrams that I will try but other than that I am stumped. I am also torn on ordering a giant math manipulatives kit. It costs more than I usually spend on curriculum for a full year but if it allows me to continue teaching him it is probably worth it. Just not loving the idea.
How do you like Scott Foresman Grammar? I'm guessing that you are using the free one. That's what we are using too. I think it's ok. I'm just worried that it isn't meaty enough.

Do you have an ipad or andriod something or other? For spelling, I've had the kids start using Word Ball as one of their activities. It's a free app that I got for our Kindle. Basically little balls fly around with letters on them and you have to spell words (I have them do the words on their lists) before all the balls with a particular letter disappear. They try to see how many words they can get before the necessary letters are gone. I only started that this week, but both girls seemed to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Kristin~ wow it sounds like you have your hands full! Is there any way to switch the schedule around? Do a daily subject 3x times a week instead, to make room for history and science? Or prepare some kind of experiment in advance and they can work at the kitchen table while you're making lunch? Could you borrow some history books on tape/cd from the library and listen while driving in the evening?

So I might have trouble reading through this thread and keeping everyone, their names, and their situations straight!! Oh, and by the way, everyone sounds really organized! It's probably not that way irl but it sounds like it!! I feel all over the place. I clean my moms for extra $ twice a week, and often those days go very smoothly, but it does take away from my "cleaning energy" to clean my own home. Sometimes balancing hsing and cleaning is chaotic for me!

Also, the kids and I haven't had a vehicle for maaaaany months and we are all getting cabin fever. We are looking at a van and having it looked at on Friday, so hopefully next week we will have a van! That would be so wonderful.

The past couple days we have been reading science books and doing activities along with them, the kids have really enjoyed that. DS and I are working on his reading. Still have to get to math today, which has just been number concepts lately. DS is getting math very easily and lately has been randomly adding. Like we pulled out the eggs yesterday to make pancakes and there is a cluster of 3 on one side and 1 on the other, he says "HEY!!!! 3+1 equals 4!!!" So he gets it but I don't want to start math worksheets yet, and I'm hoping dd will catch up with him a bit.

We have also been taking a lot about life lesson type things. How to stay safe, clean and healthy. What kind of things we like, and trying new things to find something in life that makes you very happy. We read Mirette on the high wire today prior to that conversation. What a great book, we all loved it.
Thanks for the audiobook idea. I did rip the library copy of SOTW to our computer so I could stop paying overdue fees. Now I just need to burn a few CDs. I also think I'm going to search our library for some trade books and the girls can read a couple of assigned chapters and we can discuss them pretty much any time throughout the day

I Mirette on the High Wire.

Jen: congrats on getting 200 hours and finishing your curriculum!

I've just been writing things down. I haven't calculated any hours yet. I should probably do that.
Get craft kits from Kristin's Crafts for Kids and on FB
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote