View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #56
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

Jen - Yay!!! Congrats on finishing up K! When you start up again, are you starting MFW 1st?

Corrie - Very cool about the play house! That sounds like so much fun tearing it down and rebuilding it as a family. Glad your daughters eye is okay.

Shannon - Sounds like you had a successful day! Yay to him deciding to do his work. I hope they had fun at the park and you got a lot of decorating done.

Rain - We have 2 Jen's. So, I'm going to call you Rain. Believe me, I'll have a hard time keeping everyone straight too. LOL. As far as being organized, I feel like in the area of homeschooling, I'm fairly organized with my 1st grader who is the only one doing formal school. BUT, I think it's because I buy a full boxed curriculum that tells me exactly what to do. Also, right now, we mostly focus on the basics. With so many littles, I just don't have time to get in a lot of extras. (Of course, we are on an extended break right now anyway. ) My DD who is 4 is doing the same thing with adding. She is randomly adding everything. My 1st grader is doing addition and she is picking it up. I hope the van works out for you!!!

Kristen - I totally hear you on the noise!! My kids are 6 years, 4, 4, 2, 2 with a newbie coming very soon. The noise can really be intense and easily over power school. It can be frustrating. I'm not sure what to advise on the history and science issue. We do a very relaxed science. We get it in about once a week and if we don't, I don't worry about it. We are sort of unschooling for science. Luckily, my 1st grader is VERY into nature, especially animals. So, I don't have to do much and he still learns a ton. The most recent thing is we hatched baby turtles a couple weeks ago. So, we are working on taking care of those. And, our history is built into our curriculum as Biblical history for this year. Plus, mine is only in 1st and I don't find these things to be super important at his age. Yours are older. But, what about doing them a couple evenings a week when the daycare kids are not there? Maybe read history before bed or something like that. Maybe dad can be the science teacher and do it when he is around.

AFM - Well, as much as I love my curriculum, it looks like I'm branching out for math. We use MFW 1st. It has a built in hands on math. They give us the objectives and goals for what he should know for the year, but not a spelled out "do this at this time" plan. Unfortunately, I need that. I can get him to understand the end goal, but I'm so afraid I'm missing steps in the middle and he'll end up not having some foundational knowledge that he needs. (I felt this way last year too with MFW K and math) So, just like last year, we are going to add in Singapore math. I scored a great deal on FSOT for the textbooks and workbooks for 1A and 1B for a total of $15 ppd. One of the workbooks is a little "beat up" and partially used, but it's fine. (I'm sort funny about used stuff. It really isn't what I prefer. But, it was such a good deal for exactly what I needed that I just couldn't pass it up. It would have been about $55 with shipping new.) But, looking through, I decided that I really want the homeschool teachers guide too. On the website, if I bought them new it would have been $49 for both. I looked on ebay and found both home guides PLUS the one workbook that I'd like to replace up for auction. For the 3 of them, it would be $60 new from the site. I got them all for $30 with shipping! All total, I'll have the whole set for $45, all of them new or lightly used, and it would have been $130 new from the site. It is 65% less!! Woo Hoo for "used!" I'm totally excited! (Sorry for the long story.)

Who said they were looking into A Beka for next year? We are looking into that just for LA. I'm surprised by how much it costs. But, I know it is a super strong program.

As for schooling, we are taking a break, but I really don't want to be. I want to get back to it. So, I'm thinking we will try to do something tomorrow. But, it's going to be crazy trying to get school done right now. I had protein in my urine at my OB appt today. So, I have to go back on Friday. Plus, we have a house appraisal on Friday afternoon and then a speech eval on Tuesday plus at least one more OB appt next week. (Of course, that's if the protein was a fluke and they don't need to induce me for pre-e.) So, I feel a little nuts trying to do it, but I also feel really out of sorts not doing school. I feel like my kids need it. Wish me luck getting some in!!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-26-2012 at 04:35 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote