View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #47
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Update! What comprises "unnecessary" prenatal care?

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on a few things :-)

Regarding ultrasound for placenta location - there is really only 1 position that matters, and that's a previa. I am not a medical practitioner, but previas typically show symptoms (i.e. bleeding). Anterior, posterior, whatever - doesn't matter. Just so long as it isn't covering your cervix. Maybe someone else can chime in, but I'm going to guess that the chances of a previa with no symptoms is very low (though not impossible).

Also, they sometimes check for other placenta / cord issues in an ultrasound, but not always. These are issues with how the cord attaches to the placenta and such. Not all ultrasounds / technicians actually do this though. So if this were a concern to you, you'd want to make sure this would actually be done, otherwise it would be a moot point.

Regarding some of the blood work and such, I always scoff a bit at all the ridiculous blood work they do - like, okay people, I'm O+ and that hasn't changed in the last year - but I found out this time that if the results of parts of the blood work aren't in my chart, the pediatricians usually want to do more stuff to the baby - since they can't say definitively that I'm HIV negative, for example, they might want to do extra tests and observations of the baby. So to me, it's easier and better to just go along with the testing than to deal with any junk like that after delivery. I already know I'm HIV negative, but getting in my record is only going to help me, not hurt me, KWIM?

And regarding Gestational Diabetes testing - one can exercise, eat well, and feel good, and still get GD. Personally, I don't agree with the glucose challenge test. I think it's absurd to push someone's body like that, especially if they *are* diabetic. But, I *do* think it's important to monitor for GD in some way. The reason the GTT is used is because it is relatively quick and easy for providers to have the "masses" do. But there are other ways to check for GTT. I use a glucometer and monitor my blood sugars first thing in the morning (fasting) and one hour after meals for three days around 28 to 30 weeks usually. This is simple, easy, cost-effective, and much healthier, IMO. And then I know I am not having blood sugar problems. There are *substantial* risks to GD, and it can't always be controlled by diet alone, so for these reasons, I feel that some sort of monitoring / testing is valuable.

Glad you were able to talk to your OB and come to a mutual agreement. HH9M :-)
klevmomma is offline   Reply With Quote