Thread: Many questions
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Many questions

So I have a number of questions. I grew up rural and we did a lot. Now were looking to get back to that with goal being a new home on a few acres so we can have a yard for kids, a dig pen lol and still enough space for a fair size garden we want one of those cool rain collection waters and a pasture for a half dozen female goats and a small barn and a large chicken coup/ yard that can comfortably house at least a dozen hens for egg laying. We hope to have the house on a well and septic system and solar panels and wood or coal burning stove for heat and a deep freezer for storing meat if we get a deer or buy a large portion of cow and a small generator to back up the freezer and other necessities. We want to be in either nys or pa and have a low ish income but ends meet we want to be moved in the latest 9 months but at anytime but that's beside the time. A famy member recently bought an Amish home in mt which got me thinking maybe I could do this with a property that's off the grid, we are homeschoolers and don't do tv and use such a small amount of electricity we may be ok with just panels And a generator and wood heat? I am good at haring canning freezing and stretching $ ! What do you think and where does one get a home like that in my area under say 100000? What else kind of advice do you have for us?! From how much your chickens cost how much to feed them and where you get your feed, how you built your coup or barn ( which may be one building for us separated in some way) how much do you spend/ save gardening yearly and how much and what is your yeild? How much land do you use? Has anyone lived off the grid? How much do you spend on heat and fuel and how have solar panels worked out for you? ( not super sunny here) all feedback is greatly appreciated we have been living in a neighborhood 8 years and it's not what we want. This isn't a foreign idea for us and we've been praying on it a while we just don't have a lot of informed friends. We feel if we could find a place this inter or spring while dh finishes a class up we could be getting things together spring/ summer slowly and in a few years have all the animals
Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote