Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about competitive gymnastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
It sounds like moving from rec to 3 after a summer and 1/2 a session may not be too unusual. I think what prompted this was last Saturday we went to an open gym session and Abby spent most of the time with the head coach working on back bend/back walk over with her spotting. So the head coach saw quite a bit of her that day and then yesterday she followed the class with a big binder making notes and then pulled us aside after class. lol
In our gym, it would be extremely unusual for someone to move to pre-team that quickly. We pick kids to try out for the competition teams from the Level 3 & 4 recreational classes. It can take a couple of years to go from a beginning Level 1 to a Level 3 or 4 in the rec program. From there, they do have to "audition" and some are chosen, some are not.

The exception to that is with the really young kids. When we have "tots" (3-4 years old) that really show a lot of talent, they are moved into Tots II and then Hot Shots classes with the intention of going straight to pre-team once they are old enough.

I'm willing to bet your dd's dance background and flexibility really stood out to the coach! I can't wait to hear what you and she thought!