View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
AnnaRO
Registered Users

Re: What no one tells you about breastfeeding

Everyone is different. What's true for one woman may not be for you. Do not think you will have all the problems that other's have told you about, but nor should you expect it to be perfect.

Here's my, 'what I wish I'd been told':
After a few days, it hurts so bad that you'll cry when baby latches on. This lasts about a week or two. If you make sure that you get a good latch EVERY TIME, the soreness goes away faster.

If you have oversupply issues you'll have 'problems'. Constant leaking, especially in the first few months. You might even be able to squirt across the room. When nursing on one side you may soak through your bra on the other side even if you are wearing a breast pad.

My first child woke up every 3 hours at night for the first 6 months of her life, and then woke up about 2 or 3 times a night after that. My son started sleeping 5 to 6 hours stretches at less than a month old.

A good support system is super important. Don't give up because it's so very rewarding and worth it! It gives you the sweetest bonding moments you will ever have and nursing helped me to bond with my son after a traumatic birth experience. I LOVE nursing.
AnnaRO is offline   Reply With Quote