View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
It's okay to feed baby at the restaurant table instead of the bathroom.

Feeding bottles can cause supply issues.

No matter how natural breastfeeding is there is still a learning curve for both mother and baby.

OB nurses in general know little to nothing about breastfeeding. They just don't know how little they really know.

Doctors often seem to know even less.

A good lactation consultant can do wonders to help.

Look for La Leche League. Knowing other nursing moms can make you feel less alone.

A good pump is nice to have already. If problems arise you don't want to be looking with a hungry baby or have to give formula while looking.

I know of no effective way to prep the nipples although you may be told to do so.

Just because your little one can verbally ask to nurse does not mean he or she is too old to breastfeed.

Feeding on demand is not spoiling them nor will you have an obese child. Most breastfed babies will not overeat. Rolls are normal on babies. So too are leaner babies. Just like adults are all different so too are babies.

Breastfed babies need to wake at night to feed even up to a year of age or older.
This is amazing advice! The only thing I have to add is that breastfed babies *MAY* need to wake at night to feed as they get older. Our DS was sleeping through the night at 7 weeks and we only hit a few bumps while he was teething.

The first few days/weeks can be full of toe-curling, tear inducing pain, especially if your LO has a bad latch and no one has told you to check for a tongue tie (too common NOT to check with latching problems).

Cluster feeding is the BEST way to get a long nap or long stretch of evening sleep out of your LO. (our DS was sttn at 7 weeks)

It is SO much easier than bottle feeding. I know first hand because we supplemented EVERY feeding (even in the middle of the night) with a bottle for the first several weeks until his tongue was clipped. Stumbling around in the middle of the night thawing breast milk and trying to find a clean bottle is not fun - it's so much easier to just cuddle your LO in bed and nurse!

Babies are not born knowing how to nurse. My bff just had a baby girl and the nurse told her "she knows how to do it!" Well... 6 weeks of insufficient weight gain, cracked and bleeding nipples, and difficult feedings, it turns out she is tongue tied and wasn't latching properly. Babies - and mamas - have to be taught how to nurse well.

Once you get a rhythm established, there is not one single more convenient and rewarding way to feed your baby. There also isn't a way that is healthier, more complete, or more beneficial to their immune and digestive systems. My son is 16 months and has NEVER been to the doctor for anything except a well child visit.

ETA: a good quality pump was vital (to me) to have a good nursing relationship with DS. I needed a break every once in a while (or had a Dr appt) and DH needed to be able to feed him. It also allowed me to pump and donate to another baby.

Last edited by KelseyH; 09-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote