View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

in-laws visiting, vent

My in-laws are visiting in October, Saturday to Saturday. I found out TODAY by OVERHEARING my MIL talking to my 3-year-old (on Skype) that they're staying with us. Oh yeah, hubby FORGOT TO TELL ME THEY WERE STAYING HERE.

They stayed with us once. They complained about our stairs (we live in a townhouse-style apartment), they complained about our guest bed (it's a platform bed that needs to be reinforced in the middle). They've stayed in a hotel every time they've visited since then (once or twice a year since we moved here in 2008).

Since last year, they have lost weight (MIL actually had gastric bypass surgery and has lost a huge amount of weight since we saw her last Thanksgiving). And the bed does need to be reinforced and I'll try to see that hubby does it.

But my point is, if everything isn't perfect, I can't expect them to be gracious about it.

And I have a six-week-old and a 3-year-old and too much STUFF crammed into our apartment and I have to have BOTH floors ready for guests in two weeks.

And to complicate things further, hubby has been working in another city M-Th or F for over a year now, but (thankfully) he'll start back here the same week his parents arrive. So that's a good thing. But it means that actually the guest bed will have to be disassembled and moved back here (which will mean renting a truck) and reassembled. And the crib will need to be disassembled and moved from DD#1's room into our bedroom and reassembled. And the pack'n'play will need to be taken down and stored under our bed, which is really the only thing I can do myself. And then we need to figure out where DD#1 is going to sleep (she's been in the crib with the side taken off) since the ILs will be in her "new" bed. We have a toddler-sized air mattress but no floor space for it once we put the crib in our room, and hubby + me + toddler + baby in our bed for over a week sounds torturous.

UGH.

Family is important, they want to meet the new baby, they truly don't have money to stay somewhere else (and neither do we), I want my daughters to know all of their grandparents, I know I know I know. But SERIOUSLY?