View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you lose your mucus plug after starting to dilate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I agree.

While I don't think everyone is always in tune with those feelings, I do think our minds have to be in a certain place for us to give birth, and our minds start preparing us mentally as our body starts gearing up. Also part of our labor, I believe, is psychological.

Example - for some women, labor can stop altogether if they become frightened or suddenly have some sort of emotional upheaval. My labor STOPPED with my DS when my mom came in the room - I was having regular contractions and was dilated to a 5 - and didn't start again for a week. My mom and I have a lot of unresolved past issues and at the time, I was not okay with having her present. I've read other birth stories and research on the subject.

With all of my births, I had my babies when I was most comfortable, and most at peace with the thought of the labor process, and when I was most in tune with my mind and body. I also didn't have them until DH was present, even though there were wide windows everyday when he wasn't there. I really did not WANT to deliver without him, and I actually really do think my mind played a role in when my labor started.

But, I digress. This is a different topic.
Yes, but I like this topic too.

I said above that I was blindsided by going into labor with my son, but looking back, I sort of was and sort of wasn't. I remember we have a VERY tough time getting our crib and nursery furniture, which I needed to really organize the baby stuff. I ended up getting it all and setting up the room the day before I went into labor. I remember telling my mom after we were done that the baby could now come and it would be okay. Also, I had an easy pregnancy with him. I didn't really care if I went over my due date because I was perfectly comfortable and happy being pregnant, but earlier that day I had gone to the bathroom for like the hundredth time. I said, "Okay, I'm sort of getting tired of this now. I'd be okay if I delivered." Both of those things happened and then I went into labor that night. So, while I didn't really sense that I was going to deliver, there was a calm that had come over me. Although, that quickly faded as I was in labor for 44hrs.

With my second deliver, my first set of twins, we were were blindsided though. We had no clue it was coming and I didn't want it quite yet at only 35wks exactly.