View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
3lilbubs
Banned - User Requested
seller

Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

@ "who is that".

Sorry y'all are having to butcher your roos, but yay for fresh yummy chicken in the freezer!

Stupid Fred might find himself there as well if he doesn't start fulfilling some of my requirements of him. For one, he's not fertilizing all the girls! He's only mating the four oldest, the BSLs and the RIRs. None of which I have any interest in breeding. Both his sisters have been of mating (and one is laying) age for a month and he hasn't even attempted to mate them. The littlest girls aren't so little anymore. They are 18weeks now and should be laying within the month. He should be attempting mating them as well.

He's also still on edge with the boys, stalking them along the fence if they are outside. We haven't allowed them in with him but it appears not much has changed. I've been toying with the idea of a new roo. :/

Other than that, still no egg from Greta the 26 week old EE!!! 26!!!!!!!!!!! She's pretty but not pretty enough to keep if all she's going to do is scarf feed and be weird and skittish.

So I've mentioned a few times that I have had trouble with the young girls trying to roost on/in the nest boxes at night. I tried for probably a month to discourage them by covering the boxes and then just kicking them off every night but they're either too stupid or too stubborn to knock it off so I took out the bucket nests and the board they were on and put rubbermaid tub boxes under the roosts. This managed two things, it opened up more roosting space so that the two groups of girls could again force the great divide between them like they prefer () and it got the nest boxes lower so that they wouldn't be tempting. My issues with it are that I don't have any area in my coop thats NOT under a roost the way it's set up and that means I have to sweep poop off the top of the tubs every morning and the girls have to hop down from the roost to the floor to get to the nests. I don't love it but at least they're roosting where they are supposed to and the eggs are clean. I'd feel better about them hopping down if I could put bedding down there but they poop so much of the floor up and I worry about ammonia and yuckies. If your girls poop directly into hay how do you keep that clean? And how is the smell in your coop? I hate for them to walk in their poo so I clean it daily sometimes 2x.

So Sadie's not liking the new boxes at all. She's laid her egg on the run twice now. I hope she gets better about it because there's not much I can do to remedy the situation. I liked the bucket nests better too, but if I can't keep the little girls from roosting on them they can't stay.

Night temps have fallen to the 60's, I've started thinking about winterizing. Like I said, straw in the coop is a consideration. Not sure just yet. I've found my heat light BULB but not the fixture? I swear dh borrowed it but he denies it fully. Still looking. What wattage are you ladies going to use? Mine's 250 degrees but I'm not sure my big fat fluffies are going to need that much warmth. LOL I'd planned on having it set up just for nights when the temps get down to freezing. I also need to rig up a water warmer like the one I bookmarked here:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/sea...water%20heater

What are you all doing to get ready?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote