View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
chillimom
Registered Users

Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

well, I was one of those moms who was all "I'm not going to let my kid watch TV", but DD watches a ton of TV and is extremely verbal. It was always on when she was an infant due to DS who is autistic and wanted it on all the time (he doesn't watch it much but likes the background noise I think). By the time DS moved out and DD was a year, she was already using over 70 words and starting to use 2-3 word sentences. Now, at 26 months, DD speaks and understands as well as the average 3 1/2 to 4-year-old. She knows her alphabet, can identify about half of her letters by sight and tell you the sounds they make, can count to 20, knows all her colours, etc. TV definitely hasn't hurt DD, and has definitely helped with the counting and letter identification. She only watches Treehouse or shows like Sesame Street and Dora on NetFlix though.

An example of DD's speech just now (she's in the bath), "Where's the letter's mom? They're in the whale's mouth" (all her foam bath letters inside her big blue and white bath storage thingy, then she dumps it) "oh, look, the whale spit it out mom, now there's letters everywhere. Poor whale, he's hungry!"

FWIW, I don't think TV made DD verbal - I was a very early talker and was hyperlexic as a wee one (reading by 3 years old). Plus, DH and I talk to her and read to her all the time. Also, our background in working with kids and adults with disabilities has made us quicker to pick up on speech/communication attempts and respond than some parents might be.
chillimom is offline   Reply With Quote