View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #38
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I would personally think families that watched LESS TV would have more vocal/verbal children. And here's my logic: when we have the TV on, we're all sitting silently in the room watching the TV in a trance. When we turn the TV, we are forced to play together, interact with one another, and speak to one another.

I'm not a really talkative person, we watch WAY too much TV and I spend too much time on the computer. My son wasn't delayed, but he certainly isn't advanced in his speech and usually still is not very easily understood by strangers even though he is 3 years old. Still within normal, but I recognize where we went wrong and I'm trying to watch less TV and spend more time actively interacting, teaching, and learning through play with both my boys, ages 3 and 5months.
Regardless of the reason (which is anyone's guess), you are correct that more TV watching correlates with lower verbal abilities in toddlers. link to one study This does not mean that TV necessarily causes the lower verbal abilities, although that is a possibility. The fact that the numbers on this poll do not seem to agree with the actual study means nothing, since the non-random, tiny, self-selected sample taking part in the poll has absolutely no statistical significance ever in the world. (Just had to throw that in there. )
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote