View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Ok so here is our update --
The allergist freaked that we weren't going to be going in until Nov and got us in on Thursday. The receptionist warned me that they likely won't test DD since she is just barely 5 months but they will "teach me what to do". So I am thinking we are getting a script for pens. My insurance will cover an unlimited number per year, 4 at a time, free. So if I am right about getting the script I will get 4 on Thurs. We are semi rural - it is faster for me to drive DD myself to the hospital OR at least to the freeway then it is for me to wait for medical attention to get to me. This winter it took 30 minutes for them to arrive - then another 30 minutes to get my MIL who was having trouble breathing to hospital. Another time it took TWO HOURS for them to arrive for DS - so we cancelled and drove him ourselves after waiting. There is a volunteer fire hall in town but I don't know if they carry an allergy kit - I will call tomorrow. One thing that I never though of when we decided to buy a farm ... I used to live 6 minutes from a hospital.
In your case you may want to talk to the fire department. Sometimes if they have a high risk person in their responding zone they will start a file on them and also talk to you about their emergency response procedures.

My son is not an allergy kiddo but he does have many high risk conditions. He choked on vomit and stopped breathing repeatedly when he was 10 months old. There was just no way I could contemplate driving him to the hospital because doing so would have meant leaving him with no one able to clear his mouth and check his breathing (everything turned out fine and he is now 8 years old) but I just wanted to warn you driving when a child that is incredibly unstable could prove fatal since you won't be able to drive and perform any life saving procedures.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote