View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: tell me about water births

Like a pp, I did a water labor, but got out of the pool for the birth. For DD's home birth, I labored outside of the pool for awhile. When contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and I was needing to really breathe through them, I got in the pool with DH and alternated between leaning over the edge of the pool and relaxing with DH sitting behind me putting pressure on my hips/back. Eventually my back labor got to be a bit too intense and I couldn't find a comfortable position in the pool. I got out of the pool and delivered on my side in bed. I really enjoyed having the pool and would have it again. I used a fishy pool, so the cost wasn't a big deal. If you are at a birth center or hospital you'll likely have a water option there. If you are home, you'll need to make sure you have all the supplies for filling and emptying the pool, a spot for the pool, and test filling and emptying the pool before you go into labor.

With my DS I delivered in the hospital with an epi. The epi didn't take well. I honestly felt more pain with DS's birth, tore way worse, and had an awful recovery. With DD, it was painful, but bearable. I only had a small tear and the midwives actually had to tell me to sit down because I was feeling so good. Like a pp said, the most important thing is laboring on your own body's cues rather than on someone else's schedule.