Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
My biggest concern with breaking water artificially is the risk of cord prolapse or compression that wouldn't have happened without that intervention (most likely).

My best friend had two natural births and then was induced with her third. He ended up being posterior but she still managed to avoid the epidural even with the pitocin, and stay mobile enough for him to turn. She said that looking back she probably shouldn't have agreed to the induction, but the doctor was insisting. It's definitely possible to be induced and make it through without the epidural, although I personally wouldn't want to do it! But as much as I hate needles...I think that might be the option that I would prefer.
I agree that your body is probably ready enough that an induction would work; the part that I would worry about more are the risks associated with induction like cord prolapse, fetal heart rate issues, and risk of infection from the procedures that come along with the induction. But you aren't going into this blind; you can make choices that will be safest for you. Like, make SURE that baby is engaged and preferrably in the anterior position before allowing AROM, and limiting vaginal exams..etc.
If you have to be induced, make it work for you, and I hope that everything goes well!
Thank you for saying this. It was very empowering and a confidence builder. You are right. I'm not going into it blind. I do know the risks and I have researched and am now researching more since this is slightly new territory for me, medical induction especially with possible meds and no pain meds. The risks are what worry me as well. But, high BP has risks for baby too. So, it's a balancing act, KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I agree with this. I would not agree to cytotec because it can overstimulate the uterus and there is no way to stop it when that happens. Especially since you have already had 5 children...it might be too much.
Personally if I had to be induced, was already dilated, effaced, and already had several vaginal births, I would make sure that baby is engaged and in a good position, then start with the lowest dose of pit and increase every hour, not more often than that. Once labor is established in a good pattern, I would ask for the pit to be turned off and see if labor would continue on it's own, maybe using things like a breastpump to keep natural contractions going until baby is born. I would not consent to AROM unless there was a very good reason.
This is exactly what I am leaning toward. After a lot of research in the last few hours, I'm planning to refuse the cytotec. I'm not totally convinced on pit or AROM. I had AROM with my last pregnancy (twins) and that was it and it went very smoothly. I know that has risks too, but I'm thinking I might prefer those risks to the ones that go along with pit. I'm just not sure yet. Because I also feel like if I don't let them break my water and the pit isn't working, I can opt to stop it all and wait another day or two. I can't do that once my water is broken and like you said, AROM certainly has risks too. I just really don't want to be strapped to the bed. I'm really nervous about giving in to the epi. Like I said, I don't respond well to it at all. Last time, I had a very severe reaction with my temp soaring to almost 104 within an hour after delivery and me shaking and convulsing so hard my ALL muscles hurt for a couple days. I will never forget how severely cold I was, probably caused by the fever. I was in and out of consciousness too. It was very scary and that doesn't include my BP dropping and needing epinephrin to get it back up when it was first inserted, 3x's (2 different labors and one needing it done 2x's in my last labor). So, when I say I don't react well, I really do mean it. I want to do whatever I can to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyjudemommy View Post
Heather,

I am doing well! I will be 22 weeks on Friday with a so far healthy baby green team! The only issue is GD already!

I had NO epi at all with my stillbirth delivery as there was NO time to get it...that's how fast that medication worked for me. The doc that was supposed to deliver had gone to dinner and the literally had to "grab" a doc who I THOUGHT was a janitor to come deliver! I would have had an epi as I've never had a negative experience (sorry :-) ) with it and I'm not one to refuse meds :-) ( I sound like a druggie!!)

I will be watching for updates!!
I'm glad to hear everything is going well. Bummer about the GD, but that's manageable. While I do tend to shy away from meds and do believe that if you can go without pain meds it is the best option, I'm not totally against them. I would still want to do this naturally, but with an induction I would be willing to get an epi again if my reaction wasn't so strong. And, it got stronger and stronger with each one I've had. (Copied and pasted from above) Last time, I had a very severe reaction with my temp soaring to close to 104 within an hour after delivery and me shaking and convulsing so hard my ALL muscles hurt for a couple days. I will never forget how severely cold I was, probably caused by the fever. I was in and out of consciousness too. It was very scary and that doesn't include my BP dropping and needing epinephrin to get it back up when it was first inserted, 3x's (2 different labors and one needing it done 2x's in my last labor). So, when I say I don't react well, I really do mean it. Otherwise, I wouldn't be so worried about getting pit.

I do have a small update. My husband took my BP tonight after I'd been sitting for a while. It was 142/80, which is high, but totally acceptable. So, I'll definitely be refusing to be induced right now and insisting on bed rest for now. Hopefully, my OB will not need much convincing.