View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #66
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

I have had all 3 of my kids in a hospital and all 3 with epidurals just as a disclaimer

I pushed for 3 hours with my first (and nobody was threatening a c section) and had them help with the vacuum because I was so exhausted that I was literally falling asleep between pushes. I firmly believe that I only had to push that long because as soon as I got to 10 the nurse had me start pushing even though I didn't have the urge to push. Baby was in position and I had some pressure but not that urge to push. I didn't know this at the time since it was my first.

With my second I got to 10 and my nurse told me to just let my body do the work until I just felt like I absolutely had to push, so I waited. When I got that urge to push DS was born in 2 pushes (would have been one but they made me stop for a second). One for the head, one for the shoulders.

With my third I didn't get my epidural until 8cm so when I got to 10 I was still really numb. I NEVER got the urge to push with her. Once I got to 10 I told the nurse I was going to wait until I felt like I just HAD to push and she said that was fine. 3 hours later my OB came in the room and said "your pushing now". She knew I was more than ready and she was right. 2 pushes and she was out. My labor would have been 3 hours shorter if I would have just pushed and my labor with her was only 4 1/2 hours anyways.

My longest labor was 7 1/2 hours total, I was induced and 3 of it was pushing. I can't fathom pushing for 10 hours.