Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallMarie

Well we have family dinner this weekend for Thanksgiving... but I'm completely at a loss what to do. I'm not showing at all yet so it won't be obvious... and there won't be another fmaily dinner until Christmas which 1. Is probably getting a bit late as i'll be nearly 6 months. and 2. I may not even be there since my father and i are hoping to be at the cabin.

As for this weekend... I didn't really want to annouce in a big family gathering. People don't always have the best imediate reaciton... so i really would have rather they'd had a heads up and a little time to get their filters on. Time to consider what are inappropriate questions etc (seriously i do not want to be discussing the mechanics of an IUI over turkey dinner.)

I also don't want to annouce and have my mother doing her tight lipped disapproving thing in the corner as it would just further communicates disapproval. Lets face it the family is going to take their cues on how to treat me from my imeadiate family.

I know she is worried about how people will react... but she's not seeing that see can really affect how they react with her own behavior. She's made a few comments about maybe the family will disown you... which seriously if you know my family you'd know is just the silliest statement ever. In fact one aunt already has a Single Mom by Choice niece on her husbands side and they absolutly dote on that great niece. And to be perfectly honest I don't think it'll be a paticular shock to anyone in the family... we're all a little odd. I worked in child care for years everyone knows i love kids and want my own.

I really don't know what to do now... I mean if i annouce now... 12 weeks it looks like I wanted to do the annoucing which is better then it coming out later like it was bieng hidden. But if she's acitng disapproving well kinda undermines the whole thing.
I'm sorry your mom is not enjoying her grandchild yet. I know it's hard to do things differently and be seen as an outcast/weirdo for doing what's right for your family. Blessings on you and your precious child. I am praying for you and your mother.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote