View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Just need to vent....it's another spanking thread

I think the outlook depends.

For instance, I have a friend who does spank.But, she isn't consistent and her kid gets away with tons of things that should be dealt with. On the other hand, I have a friend who doesn't spank and any little time her son raises a hand to hit, etc - she's right there and she's taking care of it.

She told me the other day 'I understand how you feel about my son bullying your daughter now - we were around another friend and her daughter was so mean to my son and it was making me ballistic'. I explained that I'm actually fine with her son because she's always correcting him. And she then agreed and said 'yeah, this other mom was all 'we need to be nice' all singsongy and it wasn't doing anything and the kid was just ignoring her'.

THAT's what we don't like. The lack of discipline. Kids will be kids, yes. But kids being kids need to be consistently educated/corrected/whatever. If you are the type who just says 'no no honey, but doesn't follow it up with anything, then yeah.. eventually we are going to resent your kid.

I hate disciplining my child. Don't we all? She's 2. I know she doesn't have self control. I know she's testing boundaries. It really isn't fair that I have to be so friggin' consistent all day long. I feel like a jailer sometimes. But it's my job, I have to do it.

So, I resent when other parents don't do their job. However you choose to do it, if you're not changing your child's behavior over time, then you need to try a new strategy.